Thursday, September 29, 2011

When You Realize the Bullet Dodged

Hey Twenty-somethings, are your chins still up yet?

They should be.  Look at what you've accomplished in the few years you've been around.  The pain you've endured, the smiles you've shared, the goals you've met.  Life isn't so bad, right?

Here's a thought for you - ever have a light bulb pop up over your head when you weren't expecting it?  There you are, just minding your own business, perhaps dwelling on something or contemplating the existence of a hybrid rat-mouse that rescues children from bacteria by gently reminding them to wash their hands, when "Ah-ha!"

It all makes sense. 

It may have been something that was a source of sadness, something considered a loss...then it clicked.  It wasn't a loss at all.  It was a lesson, and a close call.  It wasn't something missed...it was dodged.  But you're such a ninja you didn't even realized you ducked...badass.

There once was a wise woman that went by the royal title of Beyonce who wrote a beautiful sonnet about a love gone wrong being the "best thing [she] never had."  Wise Beyonce was considered a goddess among many who  just simply should have "put a ring on it." She encouraged those with troubles to take their worries and stick them in "a box to the left."  Wisdom beyond her years, indeed.

Alright, lame puns aside, she really does have a point in her latest overplayed single.  She thought she lost something, in this case a lover - but, oh wait, he's really a jerk!  Whew, Beyonce!  Close one!

It doesn't have to be about relationships either.  What about that job you didn't get?  It seemed like a dream at first, but think about it.  Do you REALLY want to move there?  Do you REALLY want to spend your days in that particular position?  There may be a very dark side you didn't noticed in the glare of awesome you encountered.  Losses can really be a gain in the right perspective. 

So if you're bumming about something that didn't work out as planned, take a break.  Knock it off.  Stop it.  Instead, let us look at that lovely silver lining, shall we?  Maybe it's okay after all.  Maybe it was your bullet dodged.       

2 comments:

  1. I was Literally just sitting here at 1:37 wallowing in my own self-pity about all of the lost friends, missed jobs, and complete and total stagnation of my life. This post didn't fix anything really, but yet it somehow helped. I was at the grocery store today, and I saw a beautiful young woman (probably in her 20's)...she was severely handicapped and needed a motorized chair to even move. At first I thought.."God I'm such an asshole!" "And I feel like life has given me a shitty hand?" (first thought ...negative of course catholic guilt, over-achieving big-sister, ect) Then I thought, "If only I were single, then I'd ask her out on a date...If she'd have me that is." I'm about as far from a narcissist as you can get, but I had the thought, "Man, I wish there were more guys like me-guys that don't care if a girl is an amputee, or scarred, or physically disabled-I just wish every person had someone to love them for who they are, no exceptions." Then my thoughts followed a straight and simple path..." I just want everyone to be loved, and have someone to love." Even though I din't speak to this physically-challenged girl, she had made me a better person--but in truth, she had done more, she had made me realize I was that person. That good guy part of me that I forgot. Somehow, your words do the same.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I read your blog. For the time being I reached in flash back. Its so interesting blog and give me a new power, new meaning to my life.Thanks for sharing.
    digital signature Adobe Reader

    ReplyDelete